Pages

Thursday 10 October 2013

Not a Geek. Not a Nerd.

I do realize these days that doing something that does not involve a handheld device is a rare thing. So is reading something on the computer screen that is not LOLcats-related. If you are staring intently at a picture and it is not something off Instagram, people might start to wonder what is wrong with you.

Click here to find out more about Chimeras.

I usually get sucked into articles posted by I Fucking Love Science. It is not because I am a geek. It is not because I am a nerd, either. It is because I am just fucking fascinated by the articles posted by the admins of the group. I have no in-depth knowledge of Physics. I have difficulty doing the simplest of mathematical equations at the drop of a hat. I just like reading about... Stuff. This is also probably why my telly is always on mute and with subtitles on. I am better at reading than I am listening.

I am uncomfortable being called a geek or a nerd because I know that the real geeks and nerds work hard to get that tittle and I am not going to given the honour of being called one simply by reading a book at the dentist instead of you know... Candy crushing.

It is true that over the years the meaning of the words have changed considerably.

Geeks then.
I bet he is fluent in Binary. 

Geeks now.
An unhealthy addiction to anything Nintendo-Related.

Or Zelda.

Just add insanely huge, tacky plastic rim glasses, showcase your breasts and have little to no body fat. 

I do have a handful of real nerd friends. The kind that when they talk I am left feeling like a Neanderthal. I also have a massive cesspit of acquaintances that will randomly say shit like 'I am, like literally, such a geek' because they just had their had done up in Leia Buns. Anything Star Wars related these days is so geek-chic these days, don't you know?



Stop it. End this madness now.

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment